The Education Program seeks to deliver instruction in a stimulating, rich and diverse environment through a variety of instructional methods to appeal to adult participants learning styles and preferences. It draws on the inherent wealth of knowledge that clients possess from life experience.
- 1st Principle of Adult Learning: Leadership
- The instructor guides the learners in determining the relevance of the learning to their own situation.
- Learners are encouraged to use their own leadership, judgment and decision making.
- 2nd Principle of Adult Learning: Experience
- Everyone comes to the learning situation with a unique lifetime of experience.
- Some of what people think they know is wrong.
- Group discussions and case study work embrace the concept of participation and increase involvement in the learning process and knowledge retention.
- 3rd Principle of Adult Learning: Appeal
- Adult learners are motivated to learn when they have a need to know. They want to know how the instruction will help them.
- Training is appropriate when only two conditions are present:
- There is something one or more people do not know how to do
- They need to be able to do it
- If an adult learner already knows how to do something, more training will not help.
- 4th Principle of Adult Learning: Respect
- People are more open to learn if they feel respected.
- Classes establish a learning climate of:
- Mutual respect and trust
- Collaboration rather than competition
- Support rather than judgment
- 5th Principle of Adult Learning: Novel Styles
- Adult learners respond better when new material is presented through a variety of instructional methods that cater to different learning styles.
Our Course Offerings
To learn more about Caritas’s Education Program course offerings please click here
If you are a community member interested in registering for Caritas classes, please click here for our online registration form.
If you are a current Caritas client and are interested in registering for classes please contact your case manager for a referral.