We are heartbroken about the devastation our Texas neighbors are experiencing from Hurricane Harvey, thousands who now find themselves homeless. Many of you have been asking how you can help, and we are so grateful to our supporters for your commitment.
This week 1,500+ evacuees have arrived in Austin for emergency shelter until they can return home or find permanent housing elsewhere. Our support has been requested from local leaders to help meet the needs of evacuees.
How we plan to support evacuees:
- Providing case management to evacuees at designated shelters
- Collecting in-kind and food donations to distribute to evacuees
- Responding to re-housing needs as requested by the City of Austin disaster response officials.
In order to continue to serve Austinites experiencing homeless, as well as be good stewards to evacuees, we need your support.
Here’s how you can help right now:
- Make a financial donation
- Donate items – click here to see current needs and how to donate
- Share this information with a friend who’s interested in helping
Fortunately, Caritas of Austin has some experience responding to a natural disaster of this magnitude. In 2005, our organization helped lead local relief efforts for evacuees from Hurricane Katrina who were relocated to Austin. With your support, we hope to do the same as thousands of people are forced to rebuild their lives after Hurricane Harvey. If you have questions, please contact Catherine Hood-Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jo Kathryn Quinn, Executive Director